Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rooting Cassia Bicapsularis,Firebush,Firespike,plus.

This morning I rooted some Cassia, Firebush, and Firespike plants for the Butterfly's.
I also started some Eggplants for the late winter planting for early spring.
My wife mentioned while writing this post.  The Giant Swallowtail kept following her around the yard while working.
Nothing new they know we are providing plants and habitat for them and other animals.

The best dollar investment for a home  I ever spent was our Butterfly Garden plants!

I used Rockwool media PH roughly 6.5. I used rooting powder on the stems.
Hopefully I will see some results. If not I will try them again especially the Cassia.

My wife has transplanted the Firebush stems  in areas of the yard with some great results.

We just love our visiting butterfly's, dragonfly's and a few Humingbirds.

The Cassia bush has been my favorite plant for attracting butterfly's.
It is ready to bloom with flowers shortly.
The butterfly's work this bush regularly everyday.  I really feel they get off on this plant the most.
Then they visit the other plants for nectar and hosting.
 Rooting powder in my GEM tray for applying to stems.

 Rooting powder I cut the Rockwool cubes one side then insert stems.
Cassia ready to bloom in next day our two. The first bloom from spring planting. This was a very small  bush. This is now my favorite plant from spring 2012 plantings.

 Firebush a real butterfly and Humingbird nectar plant.
 Firebush planted spring 2012 a very nice plant but tender to the touch of breaking stems.

Two Lantana plants 3 years old gets cut back every late winter to roughly one foot high.
These are great butterfly plants.

Green's Georgia Colards, Turnip Greens,  Lettuce, and Cabbage small right.
Eggplant rear tall by fence and yummy!

Plenty of greens for winter and early spring so easy with little time and effort.
Cucumbers in Butterfly house and Tomato plants in other areas.
We like our greens small and tender.
I also enjoy my Microgreens I can grow in less the one week.

Lost the majority of our Squash groves they were destroyed in one week by catapillars.
I had pounds of squash flowers that were lost. I love squash flowers for breakfast.
I don't believe in spraying plants with insecticides. If the lizards, frogs and birds can't take care of them oh well.

No comments: