Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Hoop House Two Hours

Here is my first Hoop House.  Built in less then Two Hours from leaving cash register at Home Depot.
Finding my tools and setting up took time.  Framing square would have been nice to set the brackets. I managed with the small square.
Brackets were set loose prior to screwing in corners of the Four Foot By Eight Foot Box.
I didn't set any cross bars of 1/2 inch PVC.  I feel light frost fabric cover will be fine for the cool nights.
Cost was $53.20 the screws were close to $17.50 plus tax. Total with left over screws and Two 1/2 inch PVC pipes was $53.20 rgh.
The Construction grade fabric was a yard sale fine of $2 for a large four foot roll. Today I noticed Sam's club Fabric went way up in price from last year close to $29 and change.
All the corners are 45 degree cuts on the 2" X 8" Yellow Wood Treated lumber.  I know its treated not alarmed about any roots sucking up the chemical's.  I may place a piece of clear plastic to separate wood from dirt.
A few pictures while I built this Hoop House.
Looks like I may have to get ready for a larger one LOL.




My wife and I decided to place it in Semi Sun Shade next to a large Lantana Butterfly plant.
It gets to hot here in Florida to quickly for this N Easterner.  Compost Organic will go inside the box.
Construction grade fabric was stapled on to bottom then unit flipped over.
The 1/2 inch PVC wasn't cut 10 foot pieces went right into the brackets. If I had a 1/2 inch Conduit Tube bender I would use that instead of PVC. Use caution and glasses when cutting wood or bending PVC.  The box will be staked to stop wood from twisting when it dry's.
Thanks to all those that have taken their time in showing how they built their Hoop Houses.


January 3, 2012 Cold front hits Florida 35 degrees at night. Inside Hoop House 39 degrees. This had no time to heat up during late prior day. 39 degrees 6 am rgh.


January 3, 2012 Cold front hits Florida 35 degrees at night. 11:00 PM in semi shade 59 degrees inside hoop house. Weather bureau says 42 degree in area.  I will monitor later to see temps.


Jan 4, 2012 11:00 PM 59 degrees 45 degrees outside wind chill. This is taken from bottom of Hoop House. Upper side will be warmer.

No comments: